Sunday 24 July 2011

King of My Ordinary World

But I won't cry for yesterday
There's an ordinary world
Somehow I have to find
And as I try to make my way
To the ordinary world
I will learn to survive
-DURAN DURAN                          
I've been listening to a lot of Duran Duran recently. It all started just over a week ago when we were heading out in Stacey's car and I stopped by my Mum and Dad's CD collection to look for something to rock out to during the drive. Stacey asked what I was doing, and then told me to bring something from the 80s. I went straight for the compromise, and soon enough were jamming and singing - or rather attempted to sing - our little lungs out to the likes of A View to a Kill and Rio. Although I have a bit of a soft spot for the Bond theme, my favourite Duran Duran hit has to be their most epic: Ordinary World

Listening to it as I have many times over the last eight days, I've really started to take in, and digest the lyrics. In many ways it sums up the vast amount of change going down right now... and I'm not referring to coins.... Ok that wasn't funny at all... I'll stop.



It reminds me of a conversation that I had with Stacey's Mum Kim just t'other day, in which we were discussing how you reach a certain point just after your teenage years (teenagedom? teenagehood?) when you begin to realise that maybe you're not going to make the bigtime and fulfill your wildest dreams, and that perhaps that's all right. In a sense, Duran Duran are onto something, you make your way into the Ordinary World, and while those adolescent, teenage days (and nights) have left you with a whole host of awesome memories, there's no need to cry for yesterday. Thinking about all that's gone on in our lives right now, I am really beginning to feel the sense of excitement building. It's time to build our world; it's our time.

We trekked around Ikea today looking for stuff and spending some of my savings away. All for a good cause mind! Ikea wasn't quite the Hell-on-Earth I remembered from when I was a kid, and was actually a lot of fun. It was like exploring the homes of 100 people all at once. My inner-child loved jumping on all the different beds, and trying out all the comfy chairs to see which one would be best to doze off in. Or would that have been my inner-adult? I also found that the Ikea restaurant serves probably the best value meals in the world. Did someone say full English breakfast for under £2? I certainly fuelled up before the shopping marathon, and returned at the end for a can of Swedish pear cider.

At this point in this entry, it probably seems that my whole life is revolving around the impending move, and to be fair rather a lot of it is. However, let's not forget my new job. I'm now three weeks in and am really starting to grasp the whole recruitment game. I barely even notice the commute anymore thanks in large to Stephen King, and am beginning to get to know my lovely colleagues. One other perk of working in London is getting to see my old buddy James Drury, a.k.a. Mr. Westend Musical Man. I met up for him after work on Friday for a drink during his pre-showtime break. While waiting outside his current theatre of work, I was randomly told to eff-off by some psychotic looking man who then turned and stormed off. I hadn't even looked at the guy... gotta love London life, eh? James then came out and met me, and off we walked to find a not-so-crowded pub, walking past Rupert Everett on the way. It was great to catch up with an old friend, and I look forward to doing it more often. The rest of the weekend has then seemingly disappeared; I went to the cinema to see Horrible Bosses on Saturday with Nat, Pete and Stacey, and then Ikea today and BAM! Work again tomorrow!

At this point I'm looking very much forward to next weekend, as I'll be heading back to Ikea and then going out for a much needed night on the town/catch-up with the old Blockbuster crew for a joint Sam/Sarah birthday celebration. Woo Woo Woo - You Know It!

---------------------------------
What is happening to me?
Crazy, some'd say

Who knows, maybe I'll be a mega-star yet ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment